Friday 1 April 2011

Live Review: As Daylight Dies/In Remission/Lecarla/Arms of Atlas -The Hat Factory


Four bands, one evening, a lot of fun, music, surprises, and... Well, you'll know soon enough :)

As Daylight Dies

You know, I was probably not the only person who had this gut feeling: "This cannot end well". Whenever I see a band consisting of very young musicians, I always have this lingering fear that something has to go terribly wrong.

This was no exception when “As Daylight Dies” arrived on the stage. Obviously the initial reaction was less than positive - but hey - everyone deserves a chance.

I'm happy to say they didn't mess it up :)

Four young lads (I mean YOUNG) rocking out and doing rather well.

Yes, considering their age, they were really good - hell they could stand their ground anyway!

I admire their urge to play live, I admire the balls that it takes to stand on the stage and perform and I admire the fact that they took it seriously.

They played a good set of straight-up hard rock and it was a pleasant experience. But - there's always something isn't there?

Well, this time; it's praise. I mean genuine praise alright? I know I've been quite positive in my reviews so far, but when I mean praise - it's exactly that.

The young man on Lead Guitar: Ollie Nash. I'm going to assume that every guitar part was written by him – just by the way he performs and NAILS it, I think it's more than plausible. Ollie Nash impressed me with his skill, passion and professionalism.

I know it's dangerous to praise a single person out of the entire band, but I could not sleep with a clear conscience otherwise :)

Regardless - if you have a chance to look them up, or see the band - do it! Your hope in young bands pulling it off will be reinforced. Titanium-style :)


In Remission
  
Think of “Breaking Benjamin” with more punch and less "cheese". A lot less "cheese"! :D

Everything about this band seems to "click" and fit well.

All of the musicians know their business and how to put on a good show - they got me head-banging a few times during their set.

One of their main pluses would be the song writing. While “Breaking Benjamin” crafts music to appease the "Emo" crowd, “In Remission” can easily appeal to the hard rock crowd.

It's all in the balance really. Just enough heavy guitars, clean vocals, hammering drums and being sophisticated to the right degree.

Bands within the genre of "Melodic Hardcore Rock" - as they call themselves - tend to focus on the emotional aspect of their music, whilst ignoring the actual "Hardcore" & - Let's be honest - for almost anyone who's not in their teens it will get tiring and boring.

Thankfully, “In Remission” steers clear of being too mainstream.

They were not exceptionally good, but still very solid and I'd like to see them again.


Lecarla

In my humble and honest opinion, this was the Headlining band! This was the highlight of the night.

I'm not just saying this because the band consists of two blokes and three beauties. I mean it because; they had the crowd, because they were absolutely FANTASTIC. Caps oh-so-very-much-intended for once.

When they came to the stage I was expecting a mix of "Hole" or "Kittie" or any other female-fronted, female-only rock/metal band. Little did I know...

“Lecarla” are a band that evades pin-pointing and “Ha! Hard rock!"- kind of pigeon-hole nonsense.

You have elements of In-Your-Face Rock, Heavy Metal, Hardcore, even elements of Pop and awesome-fucking-ness. There! I'm swearing, but I've got every reason to do that.

This band not only had the connection with the crowd, (not to mention the male section) the stage presence (duh!), but they knew how to play music that is just a plain joy to listen to.

All this by people with so much talent and skill.

Joe Alofano - Lead guitarist, nailing every song. I didn't notice a missed note. Fantastic work.

Stephen North – Drummer - with a smile. That guy is wicked! He made drumming look easy and most of all - he made it look like pure fun.

Nikki Brightman - Bassist. This girl was spot-on with her low end contribution - a goddamn human metronome with a really good backing voice to boot!

Stevie Shepperson - The flame-haired rhythm guitarist. Made some fabulous work of her own - often giving the band the backbone on which they built the songs.

Lizzy Dent – Vocalist. The girl who puts Soul into the body of Lecarla. Terrific voice that could put to shame many of the mainstream pop acts. 

The entire band was exceptional in their own departments, fusing them all into what Lecarla really is.

And it's a force to be reckoned with.

I'm really trying hard to think of something I didn't like - I have nothing.

Spot-on, fun, entertaining, creative - I could go on. There's just one thing left to be said:

See them, hear them, and fall in love with their music.

Arms of Atlas

A band that could be best described as Metalcore, just without a growling vocalist.

Bear it in mind, it's in no way an accurate description - but that's as close as I can get to describe their style.

These five guys from Leicester really know how to play; they really know what makes the crowd go mental.

As instrumentalists I can hardly say a bad word, every section within every song was solid.

I'm going to get a lot of flack now :D 

Unfortunately I came out slightly unimpressed.

Yes - the band was good - the songs were competent - but there were flaws.

Once I heard the intro, the verse, the chorus, I knew what was coming next.

They were too predictable for my liking. I often found myself drifting away during the set. Barely did I stay focused on what they were playing after the first verse and chorus; the notable exceptions would be the breakdowns.

If there's something the band really knows how to play; it would be heavy, mosh-tastic; breakdowns that get you either head-bobbing or just join the unveiling mosh pit in front of you.

I know there's a certain appeal for bands playing this kind of music and I totally understand why there’s fans of the genre. Hell I like Metalcore myself, but there was something missing there.

Was it a bit more diversity? I'd argue yes - there was little diversity in the sound.

You can blame the venue, as often could be the case, for not giving the band the justice of a good sound – but then the previous bands sounded great.

It's my opinion. You can have your own :D

By Paul's Music Shack - check out his other reviews!


No comments:

Post a Comment